Richard W. Mauger
Fairport - Nearly a year to the date from his metastatic cancer diagnosis, Rich passed in the early morning hours of Tuesday, October 11, 2022, in the same way he lived: with dignity, in peace, and surrounded by boundless love. Throughout his life, Rich often declared, “I’m the luckiest son of a bitch that ever lived”. His refrain was his outward declaration of what he truly felt which never wavered, even in the midst of the unfairness and sometimes impossible challenges of this last year. A good day to him often included 9-holes, a cold beverage, a day at the Harbour, a chat with a kid, a visit with the grandkids, or just a laugh with Louise. He found joy in every day and in everything.
Rich was admitted to the oncology wing at RGH on Monday, October 3rd where even after the news of a hospice next step, he was still busy charming his nurses with jokes, good humor, and sweet manners. None of this was more evident than when he was asked to list his goals – “have a gin and tonic, a margarita, and be home”; we are happy to report all his goals were met.
Rich was a lot of things to a lot of people. He loved and was loved BIGTIME by so many. His kids – Lisa, Tara, Randy, Jesse, and Jill – would like to acknowledge the love that he shared with his beautiful wife Louise. She was a selfless caregiver, constant companion, fierce advocate, and loving wife. She was what he will always be to all of us: our true North. Love is all.
He is survived by his loving wife, Louise Mauger; children, Lisa Mauger (Steve Kozak), Tara (Dan) Seklar, Randy Mauger (Meg Devlin), Jesse Caster (Karen Dennehy), and Jillian (Travis) Johnson; grandchildren, Justin and Marissa Yokajty; Danny, Steven (Cassie), Tyler, and Jake Seklar; Jessica and Taylor Mauger, Nick Diakogiannis, and Sarah (Mike) Oeschger; Sonya and Lily Dennehy-Caster; and Freya Johnson; great-grandchildren, Reagan Bel, Ja’Kobe, and Jameson; siblings, Bob (Maggi) Mauger, Annette (Ken) Williams; Ed Mauger (Julianne Baird), and Marlene Mauger; many nieces, nephews, cousins, in-laws; and, countless friends, the “Coven”, Golf Buddies, and Harbour family. We thank you all for loving Dad and giving Rich incredible memories for him to take with him and for us to hold in our hearts.
A formal service for family and friends will begin at 11:00 am followed by calling hours from 12:00-2:00 pm on Sunday, October 16th at Murphy Funeral & Cremation Chapels, 1040 Rte. 31, Macedon, NY 14502. We’d like to invite you to a celebration of his life being held at Shadow Lake Golf Course, 1850 Five Mile Line Rd, Penfield, NY 14526 from 2:00-4:30 pm. Come have a drink, share a story, and help us celebrate an exemplary life well-lived.
In lieu of flowers, please consider making a donation in Rich's honor to one of the following organizations that are meaningful to him and our family - please see direct links for each organization in the "Donations" section at the bottom of the page:
1. Cancer of Unknown Primary (CUP) Foundation – Jo’s Friends. CUP, Rich’s diagnosis, is a little known, under-researched phenomenon yet is undeniably one of the ten most common causes of cancer mortality in the World. With the mission to “Make the Unknown, Known”, Jo’s Friends aims to break this Catch-22 where the prognosis for CUP is poor because the research needed to improve treatment is not happening.
2. K9s for Warriors. Rich is a steadfast supporter of our military and always amazed at their sacrifice in service of our Country, in particular that of his son-in-law, Travis, a combat vet and RECON Marine.
3. The Puppy Mill Rescue Team. Rich’s daughter, Tara, serves on the Board and is a tireless supporter. Rich is so proud of her, what she’s accomplished and the unending selflessness she displays. He would always say, “Isn’t it something?! It’s amazing what she does”.
4. North East Joint Fire District. Rich’s son-in-law, Steve, is a volunteer Second Asst. Chief in Webster and has provided unwavering support to him throughout his care.
5. Michele R. Mauger Scholarship. A memorial scholarship fund for future nursing students, founded in honor of Rich’s daughter-in-law, Michele, who we also lost to cancer. Our family is blessed to have two nurses: Rich’s beloved wife, Louise, and daughter-in-law, Karen.
To leave the family an online condolence, please visit Rich’s tribute wall, www.murphyfuneralservices.com.
Cancer of Unknown Primary (CUP) Foundation – Jo’s Friends
K9s for Warriors. https://k9sforwarriors.org
The Puppy Mill Rescue Team - https://puppymillrescueteam.org/
North East Joint Fire District - https://www.nejfd.org/
Michele R. Mauger Scholarship